Sunday, July 12, 2009

Page 89: clipping transcribed



Page 89: clipping transcribed


Between 89 and 90 there were two clippings that appear to be taken from the same publication as some of the ones that appeared earlier in the diary. As I have said before I don’t think this is a newspaper but rather some sort of Christian publication.

I have put the two clippings on one blog entry.

-------------------

Clipping A

The Clock

Our little clock, mamma’s and mine,
High on her mantel dwells;
And when one knows just how it goes,
Such pleasant things it tells.

Thus when it points for tea at four
It says to us: “Just two hours more.”
Gladly at five it chimes this song:
“One hour is not so very long.”
We understand it ticks.
Then settling in the window seat,
We hark for footsteps on the street,
For father comes at six.

--

Yes or no?

He thought I said “Yes.” But I’m sure I said “No.”
My heart was a-beating, my cheeks were aglow;
I looked on the ground, and I thought he would go.
He thought I said “Yes,” but I’m sure I said “No.”
Now what could I do? For he thought I said “Yes.”
He sat close beside me, and you’ll never guess!
If you look at me so, I cannot confess!
He --- I’m sure I said “No,” but he thought I said “Yes.”

-------

Clipping B


HATRED

Hate not. It is not worthwhile. Your life is not long enough to make it pay to have ill-will or hard thoughts towards any man. What if that man has cheated you or that woman played you false? What is the friend you trusted above all has forsaken you in time of need, or, having gained your confidence, your love, has turned upon you and treats you with cold formality? Let it go/ Think not upon it; turn your mind to nobler things, lest resentment take the place in your heart which your friend once had. All who now misunderstand or misconstrue your words and deeds will be more sorry for it thereafter than you, even in your deepest disappointment and grief, can be.

--

THE QUIET HOLIDAY

If you really want to enjoy a day’s outing do take things quietly. Don’t overlook the fact that you have come out for a change, as you are apt to do, and put in more exertion than would happen in an ordinary working-day. I am speaking to the worker of course, not the girl who is fortunate enough to have no need to labour. There is nothing like getting to the sea or into the country for a change; but remember there is no pleasure in scurrying about for the purpose of telling your friends “how far you’ve been.” Enjoy Nature when you can. Sit in the field and gaze on the things around you; sit by the river and watch the tide flowing; rest under a tree and read a book; lie in a boat and drift with the tide flowing; rest under a tree and read a book; lie in a boat and drift with the tide, taking in the scene by early stages – that's the way to get a rest and a change. Don’t whizz about as if you only had a month to live. Holidays are rest days; therefore rest.

1 comment:

  1. This woman who wrote these.. she is/was beautiful. I'd love to stumble upon something like this... It's sort of like looking right into someone's heart. I almost feel a little guilty for reading it.. but it is so intriguing! I love the short writing on hatred. Very powerful. I'm going to keep reading..

    ReplyDelete

Creative Commons License
Thoughts from a century ago transcribed by Nick Flight is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-No Derivative Works 2.5 Australia License.