Sunday, July 26, 2009

Lina Boultbee's gravesite


On the weekend I was able to visit the grave site and pay respect to Lina. It was strange visiting the grave of someone I've never met. When I looked at the headstone I couldn't help wondering if she would mind me reading her diary, or transcribing it onto the internet. For some reason seeing a real grave and knowing Lina's body was buried below gave the diary even more worth, and made the diary contents even more intriguing.

It was a very large marble grave with a plain marble headstone. I was expecting it to be more plain for some reason but I imagine it would have cost a lot in its time.

After finding the grave amongst the hundreds of headstones I photographed it so that there was a record of it to go on this blog with the diary pages. It is hard to believe that we have gone from knowing nothing about the diary, to having more and more information about Lina and even visiting her grave site.

I knew she was buried at the Wivenhoe Cemetery in Burnie through the eHeritage function on the State Library of Tasmania website.

I am looking forward to finding out some more information soon, as we keep on reading the diary of Lina J. Boultbee.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Commons License
Thoughts from a century ago transcribed by Nick Flight is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-No Derivative Works 2.5 Australia License.