Sunday, February 20, 2011

Loose insert #1 “Note to Susie, (Sept 18 1895)” Transcribed

The first loose page in the back of the diary looks to be Lina practising an encouraging poem for a friend or family member perhaps. I say practising because it stayed in the diary. I hope Susie received the note because it is an encouraging one.

One thing you will notice if you enlarge the image by clicking on it is the floral design on the paper is hand painted and not just part of the stationary. I only noticed that when I scanned the page and thought that it was cool.




Loose insert #1 “Note to Susie, (Sept 18 1895)” Transcribed


FRONT:


(illustration- handpainted flowers)

Sept. 18th. 1895
Susie,

“Lean Hard”
Child of my love, lean hard!
And let Me feel the pressure of thy care;
I know thy burden for I fashioned it
Poised it in my own Hand, and made it’s weight
Precicely that which I saw best for thee;
and when I placed it on thy shrinking form
I said “I shall be near, and while she leans
On me, this burden shall be Mine, not hers,
So shall I keep within my circling arms
The child of my love”. Here
lay it down, nor fear to impose it on a
nor fear to weary Him, Who made, upholds,

BACK:

(different pen)

Weary and weak,
My feet had stumbled on this rugged way
Had it Thou not held my hand
And now I’m come
Close to the narrow stream.
Thine everlasting arms
Shall bear me safely through its floods can neér’
____ ______, Father, Thou lovest Thy child,
I do not doubt it, but will
“Lean Hard”

3 comments:

  1. This would appear to be an adaptation of hymn from the Gospel Temperance Hymnal
    http://www.hymnary.org/hymnal/GTH1878?page=-1

    I am also wondering if this hymnal is the one that is referred to in the previous writings.

    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it is "Thine everlasting arms" rather than "shine everlasting (gap)"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, of course. Thanks for that. I have made the correction.

    ReplyDelete

Creative Commons License
Thoughts from a century ago transcribed by Nick Flight is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-No Derivative Works 2.5 Australia License.