Thursday, November 26, 2009

Pages 107 Transcribed

Pages 107 Transcribed

SHELLS OF OCEAN.

One summer eve, in pensive thought,
I wandered on the seabeat shore,
Where oft in heedless infant sport,
I gathered shells in days before repeat:
The splashing waves like music fell,
Responsive to my fancy wild,
A dream came o'er me like a spell, repeat
I thought I was again, again a child. ditto

I stooped upon the pebbly strand
To cull the toys that round me lay;
But as I took them in my hand,
I threw them, one by one away, repeat
Oh! thus I said, in every stage.
By toys our fancy is beguiled;
We gather shells from youth to age, repeat
And then we leave them, leave them, like a child.


---


Fragments.

The impossible becomes possible when courage spurs us on. Humility us the altar on which God wishes us to offer sacrifice to Him. Troubles are the tools by which God fashions us for better things. Like a granite is cut and chiselled to make it more beautiful, so God chisels men to make them something nicer and better.

1 comment:

  1. This has been fantastic to read. This has really helped me to understand more about my family and despite the 100 years between our birth dates I feel connected!

    I am going to ask my Dad about Lina - he would have known her

    ReplyDelete

Creative Commons License
Thoughts from a century ago transcribed by Nick Flight is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-No Derivative Works 2.5 Australia License.